Sunday, June 8, 2014

Little is much when God's in it

I know that I talk a lot about how God provides, but it blows me away every time.  I never really worry about the money coming in for my mission trips, because God won't call you where he can't afford to send you, but this year was another awe-inspiring year of fundraising.  My church is getting ready to do some renovations, which means a lot of fundraising has been happening in my church over the past several months.  I thought that would mean I'd have to do some shake-downs of my close friends to find the money for this trip.  In the past, after about a month of fundraising, I'd have to start talking to people to let them know how much I still needed, I'd start looking into what else I could be doing to raise funds, and then the last of the money always came in a couple of weeks before I'd have to leave.  Never failed.
This year, I was mentally prepared to do my shake-down once it hit June and I'd still have money to raise.  One week after I sent out my support letters and posted on Facebook that I was starting to raise money, I got a report from the missions team to let me know how much money had come in that first week:  it came to $500 more than I needed!  After just one week!  It was as if God was reminding me that a challenge is just another chance for him to prove his power: "My kindness is all you need.  My power is strongest when you are weak." (2 Corinthians 12:9)  The fact that other fundraising was going on at the same time didn't matter to God; he has the power to get it done.
For the second year in a row, I have had people coming out of the woodwork to ask how they can help and how they can pray.  I am humbled by the way people in my church carry each other through life.  I was astounded last year by the way the children at the Tania Centre care for each other, but I see that same love in my friends here when they do what they can to share God's love with others.  I am so very blessed to have a church family like this in my life, teaching me what it truly means to love others.


No comments:

Post a Comment